Sunday, May 15, 2011

TKAM Blog Post # 4: Chapters 13-15

Atticus

       Since the last time I have written, many things have happened. My sister, Alexandra, has moved in with me and the children and I am not sure how well they are handling it. I know that she might not be the most favorite of relatives out there, but she sure would help out a lot especially with all of the Tom Robinson business. I hope that Jem and Scout will behave and show Alexandra that I am not completely horrible parent. Surely, that didn't happen. Alexandra told me that my kids don't know how to behave, and I know that she constantly thinks about how Scout may look like a boy and isn't lady like. It must antagonize her. What I think is that she needs to just mind her own business sometimes. I love her and all but for her to tell me how I should and shouldn't raise my children is just absolutely absurd.  I love my children and I know what is right for them. If I change my ways now, they just might start to despise me. That would just break my heart. I must be infallible to them and do my best even if I am not around much.

         Alexandra also told me that she didn't think I needed Cal anymore. She suggested getting rid of her. I couldn't believe that she said that! Cal has done more than I could ever ask her for. If I just extracted her from our lives, I'm not sure I'd be able to survive. The kids love her, as do I. She is an asset to the family.  Around that time, I found out that Dill had run away and was hiding underneath Scout's bed. At first, I couldn't conclude on how he had got there! I figured he had run away, and seeing he was completely filthy and that he was there at this random time of year, with no warning to either Scout or Jem, confirmed my assumption. I was pensive and said it would be okay if Dill stayed here and not have to return home because he was very unhappy with his life back in Meridian. 



         The biggest thing that has recently happened though is next. I went downtown to go visit my client, Tom Robinson, who is a negro, because I had very important business to take care of. My expected company arrived and we were into a conversation, when out of nowhere, my daughter Scout emerged from the darkness. She ran toward me, and all I could think of was, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" I was in unbelievable shock and afraid of what was going to happen. I was lost at words. Dill and Jem came forth afterwards, and my head was about to explode. I immediately told Jem to take Dill and Scout home, but he refused all the times that I had told him to leave. I knew what he was doing; he wanted to make sure I was safe. I was in a way touched at the thought of my son looking out for me, but in complete horror for what he did. He snuck out, and even took his little sister with him late at night! This was very dangerous. After the whole situation was over, I reassured him that everything was going to be okay, and in my own way thanked him that he was there for me.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing job, I think that that is something that Atticus would say. And you expressed his feelings in a good way. Two things, one was that in paragraph two u jumped from one thing to another and it got a little confusing, and also in paragraph three, was it Jem our scout that jumped out and yelled Atticus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a very good job writing in atticus prospective. I think that it kind of seems like you went over the chapters but not really because you also wrote things like "What I think is that she needs to just mind her own business sometimes" and that clearly made it not seem like it was just a review of the chapter nice job.

    ReplyDelete