Sunday, April 24, 2011

TKAM Blog Post #1: Chapters 1-3

Scout

         My name is Scout and I am in the first grade. I have an older brother named Jem, and a father named Atticus. My mother died when I was two, so I have no memories of her. I am a curious person, I speak my mind, and I am intelligent for my age. I love to read, especially at night with my father. I also like to play with my brother outside, as well as with my friend Dill.


As I was reading in class today, to my surprise, my teacher, Miss Caroline, seemed very displeased that I knew how to read. She told me to tell my father to stop teaching me though I did not know what she meant by that. I learned on my own, I think? Jem says I've known how to read since I was born. I felt really bad that I was educated and told Jem about it. He didn't do anything but say she's trying a new teaching method and that didn't make me feel any better. I don't think Miss Caroline likes me since I had a really bad first impression. All I did was start to read and she overreacted about it! I don't like school so far.


The bad first impression got even worse, unfortunately. Miss Caroline saw that Walter Cunningham did not bring a school lunch and offered him a quarter in hopes he'd pay her back the following day. She did not know that the Cunningham's were very poor and couldn't afford that. As I was trying to explain the circumstance, Miss Caroline got even more annoyed and frustrated ending with her smacking my hands with a ruler. I was confused, and the confusion turned into irritation with her. At that moment, I highly disliked her. I highly disliked school! I didn't wanna come back here tomorrow. 



        The same day I told Atticus that we couldn't read together anymore because of what Miss Caroline said. I was very disappointed because I love reading with him. I also told him that I didn't want to go to school anymore; I didn't need to! Atticus never went to school and he ended up just fine. He told me that I had to go to school, but that he would keep reading to me as long as I didn't tell Miss Caroline. I liked that idea! Atticus said it was a compromise which is an agreement reached by mutual concession. It made me happy.

1 comment:

  1. Great Job! Sounds just like Scout is saying it herself. And gives her opinions and thoughts of everything that is going The only thing that you could perfect is maybe describing scout, or the Cunningham's, maybe even elaborate on her dad and brother.

    ReplyDelete