Friday, February 18, 2011

Faith's Novel Partners Post # 3

NAME: Faith Burila     DATE: February 18, 2011
TITLE: Farewell To Manzanar TIME: 2 HOURS
AUTHOR: Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston & James D. Houston PAGES: 96-
TOTAL PAGES THIS WEEK: 

Do you think you would read another book by this author? Why or why not? What other character(s) beside the main character is really important to the story? How and why? What does this book make you wonder about? Why?

         During my reading this week, more events happened! One of the events that made me a bit sad was when Woody was drafted (August 1944). I think that he is also a really important character in the story because when Papa was taken away, he was the one who stepped up and tried to keep the family together which I thought was very responsible and courageous of him. The family could of drifted apart faster than anything, but he tried. When he was drafted, I think that he made a foolish choice because who knows what could happen to him in the war. He should of thought of those circumstances before making a choice like this when he could of refused answering to the letter.


         If I had a choice to read another book by this author, I don't think that I would. This book is great in a educational standpoint about Pearl Harbor, but the book is not intriguing. Whenever I start reading it, I just want to put it down already. It does not interest me. Also knowing that the story is legit and real makes it even worse. This story makes me feel sad, to know they just locked you away in horrible camps if you were Japanese or what not. I would not read another book by this author, or any stories that are similar to this particular topic.


         Whenever I read this book, it makes me wonder how life was for all these innocent people. Getting locked up in camps and having to relocate numerous amounts of times must of been horrible. It makes me wonder if that's how life would be if this type of situation ever happened again. Would we be treated just like that? Or would we get more respect, a nicer environment, making it a decent experience? I wonder if people see looking back at Pearl Harbor, if this would be legal? Locking up people in camps for a amount of time, not knowing when they could be let out. It must of felt like a jail. I wonder if anyone from back then loved living in Manzanar.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,I think differently about woody going to the war, I think that it is a good thing for him to go away and do what he wants to do. I think since he is one of the older children and he is getting to the point where he would leave home if they had one. Since they are all in the camp, this is his chance to leave and be off on his own for a while. I think that since the family has been doing better and they don't need him to keep the family from falling apart, it will be good for him. I Agree that he should of thought more about the circumstances, but he has chose which home he is fighting for and he wants to show his family he can make the choice on his own.

    I feel the same way about this book, that I wouldn't read a similar book and or by the same author. This book is a real downer and not appealing to me. I don't enjoy reading this book.

    I have also wondered the same thing, what if I was in this camp? Just because of my race, even if I didn't do anything wrong. In the book, it said that Many Japanese people fear leaving the camps, when the war is over because people would treat them differently and with disrespect. Personally I think I would feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete