Friday, February 11, 2011

Faith's Novel Partners Post # 2


NAME: Faith Burila     DATE: February 11, 2011
TITLE: Farewell To Manzanar TIME: 2 HOURS
AUTHOR: Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston & James D. Houston PAGES: 48-95
TOTAL PAGES THIS WEEK: 47



What is confusing in this book? Why? (Be specific) What was one of your favorite lines (or sentences) in what you read today? Copy it down and tell why you liked it. 


         During my reading this week a lot of crazy events went on, which confused me a ton. The first chapter that I read (Chapter 6), Jeanne talked about the early life of her father, their fathers, and so on. This part was a little confusing at times because I didn't know which generation she was talking about. She would switch people she was talking about quite fast, but towards the end everything was clear to me as I knew she was talking about her own father, and her mother.


         The second chapter I read was all about an interview that Jeanne's father had with a unnamed interrogator which happened in Fort Lincoln, North Dakota. The man asked Papa many questions, such as if he has contacted or been to Japan ever since he has been living in the states. Papa denies both, also refusing that he has been delivering oil to Japanese submarines offshore. The interrogator finally questions Papa who he wants to win in the war, Japan or America, but Papa replies with, "When your mother and your father are having a fight, do you want them to kill each other? Or do you just want them to stop fighting?” I really liked this quote because it gave a perfect example of how Papa really just wanted the war to end, because both countries were his homes. I would feel the exact same way, and I thought that Papa saying that was very wise and direct to his feelings about the war. The interrogator was really annoying me though because he was asking really pointless questions. 


         Something that shocked me during my reading this week was chapter 8. Jeanne explains that Papa is addicted to alcohol now, and one night he threatens that he will kill Jeanne's mom. He raises his cane in preparation to hit her in the head with it, but Kiyo (Jeanne's brother) jumps out of bed and punches Papa directly in the face. When I read this, I got a little nervous to see what would happen to Kiyo considering he might get beat by his father now. I crossed my fingers in hope that Kiyo wouldn't get hurt, and he didn't which relieved me! I hope that Papa gets help and stops drinking so that he will not hurt his loved ones. 


         Something that upset me during the book was how during the interview with the interrogator, Papa named all of his ten children except Jeanne! When he named nine of them but forgot the tenth, I got very sad because how could he forget his own children's names?! That is horrible. It broke my heart. It kind of showed me that he isn't such a great father after all, especially to the fact that he is now an alcoholic or what not.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
         What I predict will happen next in the book is that they will be let out of  Manzanar, and be able to go home because they have no proof of Papa doing illegal activities. I hope that happens because I want them all to go home; it's not fair at all to just be locked up in a camp like that only because you were a certain race. I find that cruel and just heartbreaking! In some ways I see how that is understandable but in most that's horrible.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    The quote from the book in the 2nd paragraph had me really confused, I didn't understand what it meant. But now since you talked about the two places he was from (two homes), it makes sense now, thank you.

    I felt the same way when Papa was threatening Mama. It was quite scary, I could feel the suspense. I think it was very brave of Kiyo to do that. I'm happy that Papa eventually forgave him.

    I also found it very sad when he forgot the name of his children, it was even worse that it was just one, Jeannie. I thought that he was a great dad, when they were all together in the beginning of the book. I thought he was nice, kind and Jeannie thought so much of him. But now it seems he has changed so much in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete